Home » Co-Op Work Permit/Work Placement Permit

International Student Guidebook

Co-Op Work Permit/Work Placement Permit

If your program has a mandatory work term (also called a work placement, work experience, internship, clinical placement or co-op), you need a co-op work permit.  This is different from the work that you can do with your study permit.  A work term refers to any period of time where you work instead of study as part of your program requirements.  You must have a co-op work permit to do this work – even if it is unpaid.

Co-op work permit is the phrase Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) uses for a student work placement, work term, internship or co-op work placement. International students at NSCC require a co-op work permit during their program. 

This work permit application is online and there is no fee for this permit. The application guide for the co-op work permit can be found here: NSCC Guide – Co-op Work Permit.

Please note that students enrolled in health care programs are required to have a co-op work permit for clinical placements that are a part of their NSCC program.

Once you receive your co-op work permit, you can use the iCent app to upload a copy of your permit. This will be sent directly to our Work Integrated Learning team. This team ensures all students have their co-op work permits before work placements start.

Finding Work

The NSCC website has an list of jobs for students and graduates looking for employment. This list is updated on a regular basis.

If you need any help with your resume or have questions about looking for jobs, please visit Student Services at your campus or visit the Career Services website.