Student Application Deadline: November 22, 2019
ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATION are a major focus of the Nova Scotia Community College. As part of this work we are presenting this exciting program opportunity!
This opportunity is for NSCC students in their second year of the Environmental Engineering Technology, Industrial Engineering Technology or the Electrical Engineering Technology programs to study abroad for one or two semesters at the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria (Wels Campus). Students will study in the Bachelor of Science Bio & Environmental Technology program. For more information on the courses offered in English please visit http://www.fh-ooe.at/campus-wels/international/incoming-students/courses/
Students interested in this opportunity can apply for a scholarship through the Austrian Government (Ernst Mach Grant) which can go towards living costs while in Austria (Grant amount depends on funding budget but can be up to €950/month).
The study term opportunities are either Winter/Fall (October2017 – February 2018) or Spring/Summer (March 2018 – July 2018)
This program is open to second year NSCC Environmental Engineering Technology, Industrial Engineering Technology or Electrical Engineering Technology students.
- Must have completed your diploma program by June 2020
- Have proven lab experience
- Must be a Canadian Citizen – Scholarship requirement
- Maximum age of 35 (Born on or after October 1st, 1981) – Scholarship requirement
- Must be in good academic standing
- Must have a valid passport
About Wels, Austria and the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria
Located in the very heart of Upper Austria, Wels today is a busy centre for trade and industry, right between Munich and Vienna, Prague and Salzburg. With a population of 55,000 and located 25 kilometres west of Linz (the capital of Upper Austria, population c. 180,000 ), Wels is a dynamic business location based on high-tech industries (mainly SMEs), many of which operate worldwide. The annual Wels Trade Fair in September is more than just a European event as it is attended by companies from all over the world.
The University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria (UASUA) is the largest university of applied sciences in Austria and is an integral part of the tertiary education system. The institution is defined by the requirement s of regional employment and research needs and is divided into four campuses (in Wels, Linz, Hagenberg and Steyr).
The University of Applied sciences Upper Austria (UASUA) Wels Campus (School of Engineering and Social Sciences) has been working with NSCC since 1020 echanging students into Tngineering Technology Programs such as Mechanical Engineering Technology, Environmental Engineering Technology and Electrical Angineering Technology. NSCC has also welcomes two interns from UASUA completing projects in the Applied Research Lab.
About the Ernst Mach Grant
The Ernst Mach Grants are named after the famous Austrian physicist and philosopher Ernst Mach (1838-1916). The grant program is financed by the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science, Research and Economy (BMWFW). Students and young researchers from foreign universities are invited to apply for this grant to come to Austria for a research or a study stay. Every year a board of representatives of the Austrian Ministry awards the Ernst Mach Grants based on the results of an expert examination procedure. Age limit for this grant program is 35 years at the time of the application. NSCC International will provide assistance in completing the online application (for more information visit: www.grants.at). Students who are not successful with their Ernst Mach Grant application may apply for a scholarship through an application process with the UASUA itself.
- Complete this application by November 15, 2019
- Apply for the Ernst Mach Grant (Deadline March 1, 2020)
- Register at NSCC for ENGI 1013, International Study Course
- Meet with your course faculty advisor to prepare for your course
- Study for one or two semesters at the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria (2017/2018)
- To articulate the importance of global awareness in the economic future of Nova Scotia.
- To identify and reflect on the differences and similarities between Canada and Austria.
- To strengthen academic and portfolio profiles through enhanced research, analytical thinking, planning, communication, innovation, entrepreneurship and applied learning.
- To present a portfolio of technical and cultural learning experiences.
- Cover Letter (including your contact information and program of study)
- Questions (Answered on a separate sheet)
- Current Resume
- All Post-Secondary Transcripts (including your most recent NSCC transcript)
Students should return their completed application to NSCC International (email@example.com) on or before 5:00 PM, November 15, 2019. Following interviews with shortlisted candidates, students will be notified ASAP if selected for this opportunity.
Project Timeline (subject to change):
||Student Application (Call for Submission)
||Ernst Mach Grant application
||Application submitted to UASUA for Fall/Winter term
||Online Pre-Departure Course begins
||Application submitted to UASUA for Spring/Summer term
|2020/21 Academic Year
||Study Abroad in Austria
- Students accepted into this program must participate in the pre-departure online course and one-day pre-departure conference
- Students must follow the NSCC international travel policy
Those who are interviewed but not selected may have the opportunity to be placed on a wait-list until all deposits are received.
The approximate costs associated with this program are outlined below. The exact costs will be confirmed by the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria and will depend on the Euro exchange rate. To subsidize living costs a full scholarship is available through the Ernst Mach Grant and also a lesser amount through the UASUA if not successful with the full scholarship application. Tuition fees are waived.
|Travel & Health Insurance
Additional Individual Costs (may vary depending on individual):
|Passport and Passport Photo
|Immunizations and Prescriptions
Participants are responsible for the costs of their passport & passport photos ($100), immunizations and prescriptions ($50), meals and any additional expenses not outlined in the Program Fee.
Please provide brief answers to the following questions on a separate sheet and return with your application:
1. Why would you like to study in Austria?
2. Why have you chosen your field of study?
3. What exactly do you want to do in Austria during your study period (e.g. cultural interests etc.)?
4. Which courses would you like to take? (http://www.fh-ooe.at/campus-wels/international/incoming-students/courses/)
5. Is your planned study period in Austria linked to your planned career?
6. What is your prior study history (duration and grades)?
Have Questions? Contact Kellie McMullin (NSCC International) firstname.lastname@example.org or Don Jardine (Academic Chair, School of Trades and Technology, Kingstec Campus) email@example.com
Please return completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org by November 15, 2019.
For More Information:
Also Find Us: