Student Application Deadline: November 15, 2019
ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATION are a major focus of the Nova Scotia Community College. As part of this work we are presenting the second year of this exciting program opportunity!
The 2020 NSCC Hedge Fund Course will provide an opportunity for students from the School of Business to travel to the Grand Cayman Islands in the Caribbean to participate in a one-week course in May 2020. NSCC is offering this program in partnership with the University College of the Cayman Island (http://www.ucci.edu.ky/). The focus of the program will be to introduce participants to the theoretical and practical aspects of the hedge fund industry including accounting, administration and regulatory compliance. This course will be offered jointly to student participants from both NSCC and UCCI. The theoretical modules will be facilitated by faculty members from both institutions. Students will also have an opportunity of visiting various hedge fund industry players.
This course is open to second year students from the following programs in the School of Business:
- Business Administration – Accounting Concentration
- Business Administration – Financial Services Concentration
- Advanced Finance Diploma
About the Cayman Islands and the University College of the Cayman Islands
The Cayman Islands is a British Overseas Territory in the western Caribbean Sea. The 264-square-kilometre (102-square-mile) territory comprises the three islands of Grand Cayman, Cayman Brac and Little Cayman located south of Cuba. The capital is George Town and the total population is approximately 60,000. The territory is a major offshore financial centre with strong presence of Canadian banks and other financial institutions.
The University College of the Cayman Islands (UCCI) is the only publicly funded post-secondary institution in the Cayman Islands. This institution has two campuses and offers and number of diploma, undergraduate and post-graduate programs. UCCI’s enrolment is just over 1,000 students.
- To develop and refine the skills needed to prepare for and participate in an international learning experience including research, organization, risk management, teamwork, interpersonal communication and cultural competence and sensitivity.
- To strengthen academic and portfolio profiles through enhanced understanding of hedge fund accounting, administration and other related topics.
- To identify and reflect on the differences and similarities between Canada and the Cayman Islands and the Caribbean in general.
- Must be a NSCC student with a valid passport (or have the ability to get one).
- Must be a student enrolled in second year of one of the identified programs.
- Applicants must be in good academic standing.
- Online Application (see below)
- Current Resume (uploaded to application form)
Students should complete their application on or before November 15, 2019. Following interviews with shortlisted candidates, students will be notified in the second half of November if they are accepted to participate in this program. Within two weeks of receiving approval, students are expected to submit a $500 deposit toward the program fees in January. At the time of receiving notice of selection a learning contract will be distributed to be signed by students and faculty outlining roles and responsibilities.
Project Timeline (subject to change):
||Student Application (Call for Submission)
||Student Learning Contracts finalized and signed
||Research and planning phase initiated
||Online Pre-Departure Course begins
||Hedge Fund Course in the Cayman Islands
||Debrief and Evaluation
- Students accepted into this program must participate in the pre-departure online course and one-day pre-departure conference on April 17, 2020.
- Students must follow the NSCC international travel policy
Those who are interviewed but not selected may have the opportunity to be placed on a wait-list until all deposits are received.
The approximate costs associated with this program are outlined below. The exact costs will be confirmed by NSCC and UCCI and will depend on the Cayman Dollar exchange rate. The following costs will be included in your Program Fee payable to Nova Scotia Community College.
|In-country Accommodation (shared room in a local hotel)
|TOTAL (payable to Nova Scotia Community College)
Additional Individual Costs (may vary depending on individual):
|Passport and Passport Photo
|Guard.me Travel Insurance (mandatory purchase through guard,me. Cost will vary depending on length of time abroad
|Immunizations and Prescriptions
|Meals ($50/day x 7) and Incidentals ($10/day x 7 days)
|TOTAL (payable to Nova Scotia Community College)
Participants are responsible for the costs of their passport & passport photos, immunizations and prescriptions, travel health insurance through guard.me, meals and any additional expenses not outlined in the Program Fee.
Students will have the opportunity to receive a bursary of up to $500 from NSCC International (made possible through funding from the NSCC Foundation and NSCC International’s externally funded projects)to participate in the program. Details will be sent to those selected to participate in the program.
Students who withdraw from this program after they have confirmed their participation will forfeit their deposit.
APPLY NOW! Application Form (click to access application form)
For More Information:
Also Find Us:
Have questions? Contact Zoran Kondali: firstname.lastname@example.org