Everything you need before going abroad with NSCC
NSCC International provides pre-departure orientation for all NSCC students and employees who go abroad as part of an International Learning Program or Project
To learn more about pre-departure orientation or have any questions on NSCC’s risk management strategy please contact Kellie McMullin at email@example.com or 902-491-3387
A list of things to do before departing on your travel abroad.
- Travel Health Insurance
- Registration of Canadians Abroad (ROCA)
- International Travel Health Clinics
- Emergency Contact Form
Every Canadian needs a passport when traveling outside of Canada (yes, even to the USA by land)!
Obtaining a passport:
- Online: http://www.ppt.gc.ca/index.aspx
- You can also get an application form at Canada Post or a Service Canada Center
- In Person: There are passport offices and service centers across the province – visit the Passport Canada website for details (www.servicecanada.gc.ca)
Passport Validity Requirements:
- Your passport must be valid for at least six months beyond your date of return to Canada.
- Remember to sign the passport on page 3, and fill in your current address and the name of a person to contact in case of emergency on page 4.
- Make two photocopies of the identification page of the passport. Leave one copy with a friend or relative at home.
- Bring the second copy with you on your trip. Carry this photocopy separately from the passport when you travel. This can help identifying you if the passport is lost, stolen, damaged, destroyed or inaccessible.
- Read the last page of the passport. It contains some interesting and vital information!
Travel Health Insurance:
All students and employees traveling abroad with NSCC must purchase travel health insurance through Global Guard (www.guard.me). This is mandatory insurance and you must purchase it even if you are covered under another plan.
The GlobalGuard plan is comprehensive and cost effective (only about $1.45 a day)
To purchase GlobalGuard online visit www.guard.me and go to the “Products” tab on the top and click “Global Guard”. Find the “Apply Online” tab and click “Standard Plan for Individuals”. You will see NSCC in the list of institutions at the bottom of the application form.
If you have questions you can contact GlobalGuard at 1-877-873-8447 or or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Registration of Canadians Abroad:
NSCC requires registration with ROCA before traveling abroad. This service is provided by the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade so that they can contact and assist you in an emergency in a foreign country, such as a natural disaster or civil unrest, or inform you of a family emergency at home.
For more information you can visit the ROCA FAQ page at: http://www.voyage.gc.ca/faq/roca-eng.asp
Registering only takes a few minutes. Click here to Register!
International Travel Health Clinics:
Find the nearest international travel health clinic (for a list click here)and make an appointment to receive any required immunizations and health and safety information about your particular destination. For more information visit: http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/index-eng.php
Some good questions to ask the International Travel Clinic nurse are:
- What are the required, recommended immunizations and vaccinations for my travel destination?
- Are my routine immunizations up to date?
- Are there specific insect, disease, food or water concerns I should consider?
- If there is a chance I may have sexual intercourse, what do I need to know?
- Do I know my HIV status?
- I’m taking regular medications or injections, does special care need to be taken?
- Do I need copies of any prescription drugs, including birth control?
Please fill out the Emergency Contact Form (below) and return to NSCC International to keep on file. Also make a copy for your supervisor. The program leader will have a copy of your emergency contact form during your travel abroad.
Send the form to NSCC International by fax 491-3387 or email email@example.com
For students only:
Now that you’ve been selected to participate in a NSCC International Learning Program you will start thinking of ways to fund your travels. Check out these guidelines outlining NSCC’s policies on fundraising.
Blogging with NSCC International:
During your International Learning Program with NSCC you will be required to submit at least one blog entry for the NSCC International blog.