Employee Application Deadline: October 25, 2019
ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATION are a major focus of the Nova Scotia Community College. As part of this work we are presenting the second year of this exciting program opportunity!
NSCC would like to announce an opportunity for one employee from the Social Services program to participate in the Social Work Summer School in Austria in 2020. This program will only take place if a minimum of 3 students are selected to participate.
The role of the selected employee would be to join NSCC students for the first week of their program to attend the International Days in Social Work conference facilitated by the Upper Austria University of Applied Sciences Linz campus.
Interested employees are asked to review the information below, including the Criteria for Selection, and to submit the online application form.
The 2020 Summer Program in Social work will provide an opportunity for students from the school of Health and Human Services to travel to Linz, Austria to participate in a two-week program in May 2020. NSCC is offering this program in partnership with the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria – Linz Campus. The first week of this program will have students participating in the International Days in Social Work facilitated by the Linz Campus.
This first week includes lectures/workshops which are facilitated by international guest lecturers, site visits to social work organizations and cultural activities, among them a one day trip to the UNESCO heritage village Hallstatt and the Dachstein Mountain with the ice-caves. During the second week of the program, students will participate in a customized program that will consist of sessions related to various social work areas presented by local experts, site visits to local support organizations, and cultural experiences.
Program Qualifications for Students:
This program is open to first or second-year NSCC students enrolled in the Social Services program (or any other applicable human services program).
Successful completion of this program will provide first year NSCC students with one elective credit towards their second year. The relevant Academic Chair will decide on credit or work term equivalency.
About Linz, Austria and the University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria
Linz is a city in Upper Austria, straddling the Danube River midway between Salzburg and Vienna. Baroque buildings, including Old Town Hall (Altes Rathaus) and the old cathedral or Alter Dom, ring Hauptplatz, the old town’s main square. The riverside Lentos Kunstmuseum Linz has a major modern art collection. Across the river, the striking Ars Electronica Center focuses on society, technology and life in the future.
The University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria (UASUA) is the largest university of applied sciences in Austria and is an integral part of the tertiary education system. The institution is defined by the requirement s of regional employment and research needs and is divided into four campuses (in Wels, Linz, Hagenberg and Steyr).
The University of Applied Sciences Upper Austria Linz campus provides Bachelor, Masters and Certificate level programs in the field of Medical Engineering, Human Services, Social Work and Health Care Management. NSCC has been working with UASUA since 2010 exchanging engineering students with the Wels Campus.
- To develop and refine the skills needed to prepare for and participate in an international learning experience including research, organization, risk management, teamwork, interpersonal communication and cultural competence and sensitivity.
- To strengthen academic and portfolio profiles through enhanced research, analysis, planning, communication, entrepreneurship, problem solving, documentation, and presentation skills
- To identify and reflect on the differences and similarities between Canada and Austria in the field of Social Work
NSCC International will provide:
- Logistical coordination (risk management, pre-departure orientation, travel documentation support, arrangement of in-country transportation and accommodation, etc.).
- Program management support.
- Employee with a continuing employment status.
- International experience considered an asset.
- Commitment to applying learning in future work with NSCC.
- Online Application (see below)
- Signed letter of support from your supervisor stating they are aware you are applying for this opportunity (uploaded to the online form)
Project Timeline (subject to change):
|October 2019||Student and Faculty Application (Call for Submission)|
|October 2019||Faculty Selection|
|November 2019||Student Selection|
|November 2019||Design Student Learning Contract|
|November 2019||Program Development and Consultation with Local Partner|
|January 2020||Research and planning phase initiated|
|April 2020||Pre-Departure Conference|
|May 2020||Social Work Summer School in Austria (1 week)|
|June 2020||Reporting and Debriefing|
- Selected employees must participate in the one-day pre-departure conference on April 17, 2020.
APPLY NOW!Click Here for Application Form
For More Information:
Have questions? Contact Kellie McMullin: email@example.com