Home » Study Permits

International Student Guidebook

Study Permits

STUDY PERMITS (required for more than 6 months of study)

If you plan to study in Canada for more than six months, you need a study permit. The Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website has more information on study permits.

The application guide for study permits can be found here.

It is recommended that you apply for the co-op work permit at the same time you apply for your Study Permit. You need a co-op work permit if you have a paid or unpaid work term, work placement or co-op work term as a mandatory part of your program. Depending on your program and the timing for your work term placement, you can also apply for the permit after you’ve started your program.

If your study permit will expire before you are due to complete your studies, you can apply to extend your study permit from within Canada. The application is online and the cost is $150.

The application guide for study permit renewal can be found here.



If you are a full-time student with a valid study permit, you can work on campus and off campus up to 20 hours/week (and full time during academic breaks).

Video: Working off campus

Information Guide: Nova Scotia Wage Information and Labour Standards

2017 NSCC Guide – Social Insurance Number and Working On or Off Campus



If you plan to fly into Canada by air, make sure you have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA), otherwise you may get stuck at the airport.

What is an eTA and why do I need it?

An eTA is an entry requirement for citizens from countries, other than the U.S., that do not need a visa to come to Canada. It is electronically linked to your passport and is valid for five years or until your passport expires.

Do I need an eTA if I already have a study permit?

Yes! A study permit is not a travel document. However, beginning August 1, 2015, an eTA is automatically issued to you with your study permit. You will need to apply for an eTA separately only if:

  •  your permit was issued before August 1, 2015;
  •  you renewed or plan to renew your study permit and do not have a valid eTA
  •  you got a new passport since you received your permit.

How do I apply for an eTA?

Applying for an eTA is a simple, inexpensive ($7 CAD) online process that takes just minutes to complete.

All you need to apply is a valid passport, a credit or a debit card, and an email address.

For more information or to apply, visit Canada.ca/eTA. The application guide for electronic travel authorization (eTA) can be found here.

Note: * Students from visa-exempt countries coming to Canada for a short-term study program (less than 6 months) do not need a study permit, but will need to apply for an eTA to be able to board a flight to Canada.