Student Application Deadline: November 22, 2019
ENTREPRENEURSHIP AND INNOVATION are a major focus of the Nova Scotia Community College. As part of this work we are presenting the sixth year of this exciting program opportunity!
This four to five week program, organized by the Universidad Especialidades Espiritu Santo (UEES), combines intensive Spanish language instruction, travel and intercultural learning with service placements in community-based organizations in the city of Guayaquil, Ecuador. The program includes Spanish courses, courses in service learning, cultural activities, field trips to local sites, a homestay with a local family and the service learning activity itself. For more information visit www.uees.edu.ec/cei/index.php
This opportunity is open to students in ALL NSCC PROGRAMS
- Must be in good academic standing
- Must have a valid passport or the ability to get one
About Guayaquil, Ecuador and the Universidad Especialidades Espiritu Santo
Guayaquil is the largest and most populous city in Ecuador. It is one of the main South American ports in the Pacific. The climate is hot for the first semester of the year and breeze cool for the rest of it. A proud city of the tropics where foreigners are well received, music rules and seafood is a must.
In the last decade, the city has undergone positive change. The beautiful riverfront promenade “Malecon 2000”, green areas and modern shopping arcades all over the city attracts tourism from inside and outside the country.
UEES is a non-profit private university located in Guayaquil, Ecuador. One distinctive program of UEES is the College of International Studies, home to the International Careers Program, the School of Translation and Interpretation, the School of Foreign Languages and Applied Linguistics, and the Centre for International Education. The ICP allows Ecuadorian students to study their entire career program in English without leaving Ecuador. It also allows foreign students to study their subjects in both English and Spanish, as well as to get involved with Ecuadorian culture. NSCC formed a partnership with UEES in 2012 and received exchange students into the Tourism Management program at the Akerley Campus in the Fall of 2014.
- To develop and refine the skills needed to prepare for and participate in an international learning experience including research, organization, risk management, teamwork, interpersonal communication and cultural competence and sensitivity.
- To learn about the benefits of service learning in an international context and how to apply the learning to enhance portfolio goals.
- To identify and reflect on the differences and similarities between Canada and Ecuador.
- To strengthen academic and portfolio profiles through enhanced research, analytical thinking, planning, communication, innovation, entrepreneurship and applied learning.
- Must be a NSCC student with a valid passport (or the ability to get one).
- Applicants must be in good academic standing.
- Online Application (see below)
- Current Resume (uploaded to application form)
Students should complete their application on or before November 22, 2019. Following interviews with shortlisted candidates, students will be notified in the second half of November if they are accepted to participate in this program. After receiving approval students will be given a payment schedule and will be expected to pay a $500 deposit as their first payment in January. At this time a learning contract will also be distributed to be signed by students and faculty outlining roles and responsibilities.
Project Timeline (subject to change):
||Student Application (Call for Submission)
||Student Learning Contracts finalized and signed
||Research and planning phase initiated
||Online Pre-Departure Course begins
||International Learning Program in Ecuador
||Reporting and Debriefing
- Students accepted into this program must participate in the pre-departure online course and one-day pre-departure conference on April 17, 2020.
- Students must follow the NSCC international travel policy
Those who are interviewed but not selected may have the opportunity to be placed on a wait-list until all deposits are received.
The approximate costs associated with this program are outlined below. The exact costs will be confirmed by NSCC and UEES and will depend on the US Dollar exchange rate. The following costs will be included in your Program Fee payable to Nova Scotia Community College.
|Program Fee (Accommodations, meals, cultural excursions and tuition)
|TOTAL (payable to Nova Scotia Community College)
Additional Individual Costs (may vary depending on individual):
|Guard.me Travel Health Insurance (mandatoy purchase through guard.me)
|Passport and Passport Photo
|Immunizations and Prescriptions
Participants are responsible for the costs of their airfare, passport & passport photos, immunizations and prescriptions, travel health insurance through guard.me and any additional expenses not outlined in the Program Fee.
Students will have the opportunity to receive a bursary of up to $500 from NSCC International (made possible through funding from the NSCC Foundation and NSCC International’s externally funded projects) to participate in the program. Details will be sent to those selected to participate in the program.
Students who withdraw from this program after they have confirmed their participation will forfeit their deposit.
APPLY NOW! Application Form (click to access application form)
For More Information:
Also Find Us:
Have Questions? Contact NSCC International: firstname.lastname@example.org